Connect with us

Premier League: No Room For Racism And Stop Online Abuse

Premier League No Room For Racism

News

Premier League: No Room For Racism And Stop Online Abuse

Premier League says no to online hate urging No Room For Racism and fights to stop online abuse. Premier League clubs will commence their boycott of social media at 3 pm BST on Friday, April 30, 2021, which will last for four days ending at 11:59 pm BST on Monday, May 3, 2021.

This weekend, English football is coming together with other organizations and sports to boycott social media and demand change. The teams are asking for significant action to bring to an end the vile discriminatory abuse players and many others have to endure on social media.

Manchester United came forward to protest online discrimination stating, “We join clubs, players and organizations in this weekend’s social media boycott. Abuse and discrimination of any kind are not welcome. This has to stop.”

Croatian footballer, Mateo Kovacic currently Chelsea midfielder tweeted: Something needs to change.  We want social media companies to do more to prevent online discriminatory abuse. So we’re joining forces with other teams and organisations to boycott social media until Tuesday 4 May. #NoToHate #StopOnlineAbuse #NoRoomForRacism

Southampton coach Ralph Hasenhüttl welcomes English football’s social media boycott: “It is absolutely time to do something.”

Leicester City manager Brendan Rogers says “We can’t Stand for Abuse”. Premier League club standing on third the table tweeted: “Brendan Rodgers has reinforced the message behind an upcoming boycott of social media across English football in response to ongoing and sustained discriminatory abuse online. #StopOnlineAbuse

Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips wrote: “Disappointed that we even have to be doing this. Social media should be a safe space for everyone.

“I really hope main platforms make it a priority to eradicate online abuse from their system. It’s already a problem in society, let’s do more to stop it online as well.”

The Premier League released a statement prior to the four-day silence, saying it would not stop challenging companies “until discriminatory online abuse is removed from our game and wider society”.

“We know that a boycott alone will not eradicate this, which is why we will continue to take proactive steps to call for change,” the statement continued.

Other footballers have also raised their voices against online abuse and racist insults. 

Kasper Schmeichel said, “We are switching off our social media channels from 3pm on Friday 30 April, until 23:59pm on Monday 3 May, in response to sustained and ongoing online abuse.”

Seven-time Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton, the only Black driver in F1, called on his sport to join in the boycott. Hamilton will be going dark on social media this weekend to stand in solidarity with the football community. 

Facebook has said it is committed to tackling abuse on its platforms, while Instagram last week announced a tool to enable users to automatically filter out abusive messages from those they do not follow on the platform. Twitter said it remained committed to the fight against racism.

A Twitter spokesperson said: “Since the season started, there have been over 30 million tweets from people in the UK about football. In that time we have removed over 7,000 in the UK that were targeting the football conversation with violations of the Twitter rules.”

“We have worked to improve our proactive measures … and also provided expedited reporting channels to our football partners to ensure any potentially violative content is reviewed and actioned swiftly.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Must See

More in News