Connect with us
Buaksib.in

UEFA confirms Tottenham vs Rennes will not be rescheduled

Latest Football News

UEFA confirms Tottenham vs Rennes will not be rescheduled

UEFA confirms Tottenham vs Rennes will not be rescheduled

Tottenham Hotspur’s Europa Conference League group stage match against Rennes was called off due to COVID-19 outbreak in the team. Spurs coach Antonio Conte had confirmed the football news that 13 coronavirus positive cases were reported in the team – eight players and 5 staff members. European soccer’s governing body UEFA has announced that the match Tottenham vs Rennes will not be rescheduled. 

UEFA said it had tried to find a viable solution to reschedule Thursday’s match in London and ensure the group stage could be completed. UEFA stated: “Unfortunately, despite all efforts, a solution that could work for both clubs could not be found. As a consequence, the match can no longer be played and the matter will, therefore, be referred to the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body for a decision to be taken in accordance with Annex J of the above-mentioned competition regulations.”

On the eve of the encounter, Spurs said it had been called off after manager Antonio Conte confirmed 13 positive cases at the club, eight involving players and the rest among staff. The decision was later criticized by Rennes saying it was taken unilaterally by Tottenham and that they reserved the right to appeal to UEFA and demanded to award them a 3-0 win. Last year Switzerland was given a 3-0 win by a UEFA panel after a Covid outbreak in the Ukraine team ahead of a Nations League game.

Spurs were vying with Vitesse to finish second in Group G and secure a spot in a playoff round before the last 16. Rennes have reached the last 16 as Group G winners on 11 points after five matches. Tottenham’s Premier League match at Brighton & Hove Albion on Sunday was also postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Must See

More in Latest Football News

Buaksib.in