The Portuguese football federation said on Tuesday, Portugal coach Fernando Santos will remain in charge of the national team until the 2024 European Championship.
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, his contract was postponed until the next year 2020 which was initially set to expire after Euro 2020.
Santos took over Portugal, leading it to Euro 2016 and last year’s inaugural Nations League titles, after the 2014 World Cup. It was eliminated in the round 16 of the 2018 World Cup by Uruguay.
“To continue with this project is a privilege for me and for my coaching staff,” Santos said. “We know we can’t win everything but we’re always going to try.”
Santos is now set to remain in charge of the National team at next year’s European Championship, the 2022 World Cup, and Euro 2024.
“It has been an easy decision to make considering that we are renewing a European champion’s contract,” said Fernando Gomes, president of the federation. ‘He’s a winner.’
Darwin Nunez can be a hybrid of fellow Uruguayan strikers Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani,...
- / 3 weeks ago
Bayern Munich’s Serge Gnabry has been linked with a move away from the German champions. with...
Rob Page believes Wales can go “toe-to-toe with anybody” at the World Cup later...