FIFA president Gianni Infantino urges the Premier League and La Liga to “preserve and protect sporting dignity” during the international break. Premier League and La Liga has been asked by FIFA President Gianni Infantino to release their players for the upcoming international break as a “show of solidarity.”
Beginning with this weekend’s matches the break will last two weeks and will be followed by the resumption of qualifiers for next year’s World Cup in Qatar. Earlier on Tuesday, the Premier League has declined to release nearly 60 players traveling to 26 countries on the United Kingdom’s red list due to strict rules that would require players to quarantine for 10 days upon their return – and no exemption has been granted by the government.
Regardless of vaccination status, countries on that red list for travel to and from the UK require arrivals to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days upon their return. La Liga quickly followed EPL steps and blocked the release of 25 players from 13 different clubs for South American qualifiers.
However, Infantino, who said he has written to UK prime minister Boris Johnson for support, has encouraged both leagues to reconsider their actions and “preserve and protect sporting integrity. I am calling on a show of solidarity from every member association, every league, and every club, to do what is both right and fair for the global game,” he said in the statement.
“Many of the best players in the world compete in leagues in England and Spain, and we believe these countries also share the responsibility to preserve and protect the sporting integrity of competitions around the world. I have suggested that an approach similar to that adopted by the UK government for the final stages of the Euro 2020 (hosted at Wembley) be implemented for the upcoming international matches.”
- / 6 hours ago
Steve Bruce has stated that he intends to stay on as manager following Newcastle...
- / 7 hours ago
Indian charismatic footballer Sunil Chhetri reflected on his career stating “it will end soon”...