Connect with us

FA ordered independent investigation into Euro 2020 final chaos

FA ordered independent investigation into Euro 2020 final chaos

Latest Football News

FA ordered independent investigation into Euro 2020 final chaos

The English Football Association (FA) has ordered an independent investigation following a fight between unticketed fans at Wembley ahead of the Euro 2020 final. Thousands of fans were reported to have entered the stadium before Italy’s victory against England. There were ugly scenes in stands and competitions during games, while ticketed fans faced entrants. Outside Wembley, it was estimated that 200,000 people were in the arena for a match with a capacity of 67,500, with drunken and violent scenes affecting the spectacular event.

FA chiefs said on Monday they had informed the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) of the weekend’s review and vowed to identify those responsible for the “shameful scenes” both before and during the match. “We are determined to fully understand what happened at the UEFA Euro 2020 final on Sunday, 11 July 2021, outside Wembley Stadium and then inside Wembley Stadium,” the statement said.

“I informed DCMS over the weekend that an independent review led by Baroness Casey of Blackstock had been tasked with reporting on the facts and circumstances involved. She will talk to all the stakeholders and involve outside experts. A main focus of the findings will be to ensure that lessons are learned and that such embarrassing scenes are never repeated. We continue to work with relevant authorities in support of their efforts to identify and hold those responsible.”

The police have since released CCTV footage of some people they want to interrogate. The England trio, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, and Bukayo Saka, were racially abused on social platforms after being punished in the decisive 1-1 draw.

The behavior at Wembley and those forcing online trolls have been widely condemned. The shocking developments have raised doubts about the prospect of a successfully proposed joint bid by the United Kingdom and Ireland to host the 2030 World Cup.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Must See

More in Latest Football News